If were following As Told by Gold back in January or so, you may remember my 2018 Reading Challenge. I talked about how I always loved read as a child, spending hours in the public library with my mom on the weekends. I was a little sad because in this age of social media and technology, that passion started fading as I started replacing reading books with scrolling through my timelines.
So I created my own reading challenge for the year and set a personal goal to read 20 books in 2018 within certain categories and challenged others to join me, setting their own personal goals.
When I found the original post, I just started laughing because I really played myself. To be super honest with you guys, I made absolutely noprogress with that thing. Since then, I took a break from blogging, shut down ATBG, launched my personal finance blog, and re-launched ATBG. Yeah, I know it’s a mess. That’s usually how my mind works.
Anyway, I got about halfway through the first book I chose to read, Before I Go to Sleep and I’m not proud to say that’s about as far as I got. Life happens. But I heard the ending was crazy af so I really am going to finish that one.
So this time around, I have a different goal. Now that we’re almost halfway through the year already (wow), 20 books a year isn’t realistic for me at right now. Instead, I’m simply going to commit to reading more. That’s it.
Below is my current reading list in no particular order. I’ve narrowed it down and made some changes since the original post to include more things that interest me as well as some recommendations that I’ve received over the past few months. I’ll keep adding to it as I go along and hopefully I’ll be back in a few weeks with a book review and something checked off of this list.
If you have any recommendations, let me know in the comments!
- Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
- Spare the Kids: Why Whupping Children Won’t Save Black America by Stacey Patton
- The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Black Labor, White Wealth by Dr. Claud Anderson
- The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae
- Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
- Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
- Nobody: Casualties of America’s War on the Vulnerable, from Ferguson to Flint and Beyond by Marc Lamont Hill
- White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson